Monday, December 31, 2018

Resolution Recap 2019

As I've gotten older it's felt like days and weeks go by faster. However, 2018 was amazing because it felt like the last 365 days have been twelve long, agonizing years. I can't say it's been the worst year I've had because there's been a lot of good to come out of it with the bad, but I'm ready to head into the next year. I grew as a person, learned a lot, and, most importantly, I did some stuff.

Last January I wrote about my resolutions and how they went and then re-wrote a list of New Years Resolutions for 2018. After all, there's no better recipe for success than personal accountability and actually remembering what it is you're setting out to do, and with the minor successes I had last year I figured I could do even better this year. Much of the list is the same as the one from 2017, and a few bullet points are in my list for 2019, but let's take a look at some of the highlights:

~

- QUIT FUCKING SMOKING


I did it! I wrote about it in March after not smoking for maybe a week, and after nearly a year without nicotine think I'm done with smoking for good. What's more, I've been running faster, my blood pressure is better, I've been sleeping at least marginally better, and I don't stink so bad. Cravings pop up every so often, especially during stressful nights at work and moments when I'm feeling down in the dumps, but they pass a lot easier now than they did before. Having smoked for 15 years and successfully quit cold turkey is probably the biggest thing I've done for myself all year. 

- Hike More 

I did literally one hike I intended to do this year, though I'm glad it was the Whitney Portal Rec Trail because that was a blast. Especially going the weekend before Whitney Portal Road opened for the season, the trail was empty, the Portal was empty, and it was as if I had an entire woodland world all to myself. Scheduling conflicts put my plan to summit Mt. Disappointment on the back burner, and I didn't even end up going to Death Valley this year, but next year I hope to hike more and knock out some more trails. 

- Build Savings Account

The bad news is I had a little medical emergency that completely wiped my savings account, and I haven't been able to completely rebound from it. The good news is I had a savings account to begin with to pay those bills, and my finances are at least starting to get on the mend, so I can enter the coming year a little wiser and with a lot more spite toward the American health care system. 

- Keep Running 

I finished the Santa Clarita Half Marathon much faster than I had in 2017, and my recovery was a lot more pleasant. Up until the last few weeks I was pulling a minimum of 15 miles per week, with some runs lasting 10 miles without me thinking much about it.

~

The list for 2019 has a lot of the same stuff. The list is starting feeling less like "resolutions" and more like "maintenance" but, honestly, I'm kind of cool with that. Knowing I survived my 20s with only minor scarring, trauma, and brain damage, if my goals are to maintain the work I've done already then I'll go with it. I have a lot to look forward to next year, and even though the concept of "A New Chapter In My Life" is kind of old hat, I'm happy to be entering one.

Happy New Year! See you in 2019! 

1 comment:

  1. I was happy to read this article after searching at google , after reading I have written a piece of article about :chronic back pain relief Thank you for the article and helping me.

    ReplyDelete