Wednesday, March 4, 2015

A Necktie

My grandma Bette has given me a wide assortment of vintage and novelty neckties for awhile now. They come in a wide array of patterns, themes, ages, and styles, and they all make a statement. There's one tie she'd given me awhile back that I thought was a little unassuming, but it ended up being one of my favorites; it's a slim tie that's brown with a feather design. It's not quite as loud or eye-catching as some of the ties Grandma Bette has given me in the past, so I figured it would go under the radar with other folks too.

However, a few times at work I've been approached about that tie. Quite a few people over the course of months have asked me where I'd gotten it, and explained that their grandfather "had a tie exactly like that one!" before telling me to hold onto it for as long as I can. Mind you, the people telling me this are mostly middle-aged and older, so to hear I'm dressing like a grandpa from the 1960s is pretty awesome. Go figure that the least conspicuous accessory I have at work gets the most attention.

It makes me wonder what people are going to dress like in the future, though. Will bolo ties come back? Will the 1990s look of oversized shoulder pads, giant ties, and generally loose-fitting clothes be the pinnacle of dressy attire again? Are frosted tips going to rear their ugly head back into relevance? Will the short, broad ties and high-waisted slacks of the 30s be a thing again? Will rest homes of the future be filled with old women in Uggs and leggings, and old men in ugly Ed Hardy bullshit?

Will my theoretical grandchildren, 60 years down the line, see someone that dresses like me and comment on that handsome future man's handsome tie?

How often do fashion trends reoccur?

And why did all these people apparently have such handsome and well-dressed grandpas?

It's a mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment