Wednesday, February 18, 2015

On Los Angeles Freeways

Last Saturday I had the privilege to visit the Los Angeles Museum of Natural History with my girlfriend for Valentine's Day. After all, nothing says "I love you!" quite like a megamouth shark preserved in alcohol (rad), taxidermy bears and rhinos (also rad), and dinosaur fossils (hella rad), so Stephanie and I had a really good time. A couple nerds doing nerd shit on a mushy holiday is more than I could've asked for. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it was one of the best dates I've ever had ever.

However, it wasn't without a challenge.

Now, I like to think I'm a patient man. I do my best to accept most things, and it's helped me in my professional and personal life for many years. Empathy is my middle name, and I strive to keep a level head when it comes to people and most situations.

But dammit, I really hate Los Angeles freeways.

Like, a lot. A lot a lot.

Hate.

The last year or so has lead me to the roadways of the greater Los Angeles area more often than I'd ever had or wanted to before. As if my opinion on the City of Angels wasn't so high before (that water thieving bastard Mulholland is to blame for that), having to navigate--or even to just sit in a car-- through the I-5, 405, 110, and the myriad of other roadways too horrible for actual names is a real life nightmare. Throw in holiday traffic and my less-than-stellar navigation skills and you have yourself a challenge. It's amazing I made it with all (or most) of my hair. Worth it to spend the day with my girlfriend, but still, President's Day traffic is evil.

Southern California traffic sucks even without a three-day-weekend though. The roads always have junk in them consistently, even though they should have work crews on them constantly since they seem to be perpetually doing road construction. Despite people commuting on the freeways every day, nobody seems to know how to use a blinker or accelerator properly, and the concept of staying in one lane is apparently lost on too many in the Southland. God forbid a cop car or fire truck needs to get through, because almost no one is perceptive enough to give two steaming shits about their surroundings while driving on the 5.

I've never been a fan of LA. I'm not opposed to freeways in general, but I would much rather stay away from the swirling mess of concrete that leads into the heart of LA if I can help it. I'm glad Stephanie drives when we go down below because I'd probably end up in an accident after having a stroke from stress (or after Stephanie kicks my ass for driving too slow). I've been spoiled with where I live because of the lack of real traffic and how straightforward the 395 is in this neck of the woods. I do like maneuvering through some freeway traffic because the ease of driving at home makes actual driving a little more challenging, but it's a little different when the assholes on the road are moving either at lightning speed three inches away from you or cutting you off before dropping your speed in half.

Anyway, check out the Los Angeles Museum of Natural History because the museum is way awesome and informative, and do so sometime before rush hour and not on a holiday weekend because the 110 is bullshit.

Seriously, City of Los Angeles, get your shit together.

No comments:

Post a Comment