Wednesday, February 4, 2015

My Wristwatch

I had a few minutes before I had to leave for work earlier today, so I grabbed my lunch from the fridge, tied my tie, and put on my watch. I glanced down at my wrist to see what time frame I was working with, but realized the watch read half past noon. I looked at my phone, which said the time was a quarter 'til three. Glancing between the watch and the phone, I let out a groan at the realization that my favorite watch had died. I tossed it onto the chair next to my bed, grabbed another watch from the dresser, and made my way to work.

In an age where people carry veritable computers in their pockets, it's not really all that necessary to even wear a watch; if you want to know the time you can look at your phone, and while you're at it you can check your email, calendar, Facebook, bank statements, and essentially run circles around the arm clock. Regardless, I like them. I didn't always wear one, but dressing for work doesn't seem complete until that slight weight is on my wrist. I'd say it "makes the look" but that's probably just my imagination, even though it might be more professional looking than reaching at my back pocket whenever someone asks for the time.

I bought the watch about three years ago. I don't remember why; probably because I thought it looked cool or I had some extra cash, but it was a good investment as far as I was concerned. I wore it rock climbing and cracked the face, during hikes and got it dirty and dusty under the glass, and occasionally while sleeping and stretched the holes on the band. It was a little worse for wear, but I still liked it best. I've worn it to work almost every day for the last three years regardless of the dirt and cracks because it served its purpose of keeping time and being super comfy on my arm.

I might find a jeweler to replace the battery or whatever at some point, but I'm not in that big a rush. Besides, with how beat to death it looks it might be worth investing in another one. Now that I only have one working wristwatch it'd be a good idea to have another backup for when the other croaks.

Plus, it'll help me look sharp for work.

That's important I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment