Wednesday, February 11, 2015

I Got A Peaceful, Icky Feeling

Monday morning started off pretty well. I was well rested, full of energy, and ready to tackle the work week that was sure to be a breeze. The weather outside was warm and clear after raining during the weekend, and I soaked in the sun and fresh air before going in for work later in the day. Work was the same as it always is, but I was clear-headed and energetic enough to do my work as well as possible. It was a good sign that the week was going to be promising, so I went to bed on Monday with plans to knock out my to-do list by Friday.

Tuesday morning came, and I woke up feeling like dog shit.

Where did this cold come from? Why is it not bad enough to call in to work but also not mild enough to ignore? When was the last time I even actually got sick?

It's my second day feeling icky from whatever bug I managed to pick up from last weekend, and while I'm feeling a little better than yesterday I'm still coughing up half a lung every other minute and aching all over. When a big part of your job is speaking to people, both over the phone and in person, plugged up ears and a sore throat don't make things easy, and being tired and cranky makes wearing a smile for eight or nine hours a superhuman feat. I still managed to go through yesterday as well as ever but I would have rather been laying on my couch with some soup and Netflix instead of rushing around the desk and answering phones.

I shouldn't be complaining too much. If anything, I'm getting off lucky so far. A fair chunk of people I know have been getting bronchitis, some so bad they've been sent to the ER. While my ailment should be able to get cleared up with patience and sucking it up, my friends have to take antibiotics and confine themselves to bed. Some people are getting the flu ('tis the season after all) and are stuck waiting by a bucket or the toilet for something less than desirable and all kinds of gross. Kids of terrible parents are getting measles from Disneyland too, which doesn't even mention the other kinds of diseases theme parks full of children can carry.

Basically, I'm not doing too bad by comparison, and as long as I remember that fact I might be able to ignore the congestion headache and the raspy feeling in my throat. If I manage to convince myself I feel fine it should come true.

If you're feeling ill today, get well soon. Get plenty of rest, drink plenty of fluids, intake plenty of vitamins and stuff to help your body out, and catch up on some TV shows. If you feel bad enough to take a day off-- and you're able to-- do it.

Otherwise, take my lead and pretend to be in perfect health in-between coughing fits and groans.

No comments:

Post a Comment