Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Pizza

When I was a kid I didn't get a lot of junk food. Soda wasn't ever in the house, candy was reserved for specific holidays (Halloween, Christmas, et cetera), and food like fast food burgers and pizza were reserved usually for trips away from home. Getting Rusty's Pizza when my family visited my grandparents was a blast; greasy cheese pizza, oil saturating the brown box it came in, washed down with a Pepsi. It was heaven. I knew it wouldn't be long before it'd be back to meatloaf, so I relished in the greasy glory of take-out pizza when I could.

I've grown up, and I still enjoy pizza, but working directly across the street from a pizzeria means the novelty of the pie has kind of... faded. Besides, the pizza across from where I work is made with fresh ingredients and hearty crust, fresh and wholesome (albeit kind of greasy depending on what you order). The wonderful experience of pizza that's essentially soggy cardboard covered in processed cheese and marinara before being thrown in an oven is something I rarely get. The hole-in-the-wall pizza joints make the best of the best, Little Caesar's makes the best of the worst, and the options for where to get pizza are as broad and varied as the toppings you can haphazardly order (pro tip: anchovies and sausage is too salty, FYI).

I love eating clean and healthy, and I like the feeling that comes with not toxifying my system with processed crap. Kale, spinach, and avocado make it into my mouth daily. I like lean protein and natural stuff, but I also really, really, really like shitty pizza.

1 comment: